Re: dbms_output from dbms_jobs procedures

From: Jimbo1 <nightfanguk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 14 Dec 2005 16:40:53 -0800

Hello again Guys,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you would probably save yourself a lot of hastle by just removing DBMS_OUTPUT from the source code and writing your own customer debugging procedure instead.

As already mentioned, you could use an autonomous transaction to insert the former DBMS_OUTPUT messages into a debugging table which you could then access from anywhere you can access the database.

I think you are over-complicating things by going this route. I appreciate you don't want to change the PL/SQL source code, but it might be the simplest solution overall. It would be a straightforward change; just replace the DBMS_OUTPUT calls with calls to a debugging procedure. I think you are in danger of becoming fixated on trying to make DBMS_OUTPUT do something it possibly was never meant to do.

That's just my opinion at the end of the day though, and Clint Eastward once said something about those. ;o)

If you want more information on my suggested solution, I'll happily post some source code up here. It will not take that much to do this.

Cheers.

James Received on Wed Dec 14 2005 - 18:40:53 CST