Re: Can you pass a table name into a stored procedure?

From: William Robertson <william.robertson_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2005 11:32:08 -0800

dean wrote:
> It was not my design, there are already 10 tables, 20 in some
> instances. I pushd strongly for partitioning, but we did not use
> partitioning because our client did not have that enabled in their
> oracle system. We will look into it some time soon though, but until
> then we are stuck with 10 tables. The reason was that its faster to
> truncate a table than delete from it.

OK, at least that's a reason. Partitioning is part of Enterprise Edition so it costs extra. Obviously if they had that, they could truncate a partition, amongst other useful features. In the meantime the partitioned view approach should kind of work.

If you can define views and code against them, then if one day they decide to get partitioning you can replace the views with partitioned tables and perhaps there will be less to change. Received on Thu Dec 08 2005 - 13:32:08 CST