Re: Beginner SQL question (on intersecting groups of records)....

From: dean <deanbrown3d_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2005 13:13:16 -0800

I'm not a student lol (wish I were!)

I thought about (and tried) intersect, but that seems to give you the entire set overlap, rather than just telling you if there is _any_ overlap, so its slow. However, I got the statement nice and fast by using 'distinct' and a join on the locations. The 'distinct' seemed to make ALL the difference, in that it seemed that as soon as if found any locations the were common to two trains, then it stopped looking for more, since it had already selected those trains. I'm very impressed with Oracle right now.

Thanks for the ideas. I can put your name on my source code header file if you like:)

Dean Received on Sat Dec 03 2005 - 15:13:16 CST