Re: swap/memory ratio

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 17:45:32 -0800

>I have estimated that the amount of memory that Oracle will need is 4
>Gb (including sga and user processes).
>I will have 2 Gb RAM and let's say 6 Gb of swap.

If you are actually using any swap at all you will run extremely poorly. On my similar system I have 8G and am usually using most of it (partly because the buffer resource advisor will always want more). Unlike earlier versions of hp-ux, you do not need to declare swap for any amount of memory you might use. It is much better to have enough memory, and use secondary swap (regular filesystem files, see the hp-ux docs Managing Swap and Dump and google usenet for infof) in case you ever go way over.

I've never really figured the details out (see docs on Jonathan Lewis' site if you want to), but practically it seems using multiple instances requires you to cut down the pga_aggregate_target. Haven't seen this documented anywhere, but I haven't looked recently.

You have to be careful with not letting hp-ux take all the memory beforehand (
http://docs.hp.com/en/939/KCParms/KCparam.UnlockableMem.html - maybe it's just the sysadmins that get to it before I do, or the default is screwy, or maybe it's fixed now and I never noticed) .

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.