Re: Internationalization - poinetrs please

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2005 09:13:10 -0800

ChrisF wrote:
[]

> Remember 2 golden rules
>
> 1) NEVER put any hard-coded message texts in any computer source code
> (be it Oracle PL/SQL or anything else), ALWAYS use message-codes,
> message-ID's or some such method with some method that converts the
> code into a text message in the users language.
>
> 2) Do not build your database as 7-bit ASCII (which Oracle
> unfortunately defaults to), use as a minimum one of the ISO8859
> charactersets, usually ISO8859-1 (which Oracle calls WE8ISO8859P1).
[]
I add a third (actually it's my rule #2): always plan for display field sizes to grow no matter which languages you translate from or to. IOW Translating from ENGLISH to SPANISH will expand the text. Translating from SPANISH to ENGLISH will expand the text. There are exceptions, but this is a safe guideline

> And please pose a specific question.

yeah, that too.
  Ed Received on Wed Nov 30 2005 - 11:13:10 CST