Re: RMAN for other cases than total disaster?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:16:20 GMT

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:19:14 +0100, bdj wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm thinking about which kind of RMAN can solves:
> "total" disaster like disc-crash, recover after 'shutdown abort',
> creating testing/developing environment,
> ups, we deleted som data som days before and flash-back-"space" is just for
> one day.
>
> Are other "normal" problems were it can helps?

Reading between the lines, I gather you are trying to understand the entire 'High Availability' concept as viewed by Oracle. If so, Oracle's OTN site, under the Product/Databse area , expands into High Availability and has a general discussion about kinds of failures and what the various Oracle technologies brings to the table.

I believe your question is answered in chapter 1 of the "Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Basics 10g Release 2 (10.2)" manual. (It's pretty well the same as previous version with some enhancements for the 10gR2 capabilities.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com