Re: RMAN for other cases than total disaster?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:58:17 GMT

Comments interleaved.

bdj wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm thinking about which kind of [problem] RMAN can solves:
> "total" disaster like disc-crash, recover after 'shutdown abort',

Instance recovery after a "shutdown abort" is automatic, you do not need RMAN for that.

> creating testing/developing environment,

Similarly, setting up a Data Guard standby, either physical or logical.

> ups, we deleted som data som days before and flash-back-"space" is just for
> one day.

In addition, so-called "logical" backups using export (traditional or datapump in version 10g) can be used for this in some situations.

> Are other "normal" problems were it can helps?

See the following sections in the standard documentation:

"Detecting Physical and Logical Block Corruption"

"Migrating Databases To and From ASM with Recovery Manager"

"Transporting a Tablespace to a Different Database on the Same Platform"

> /Bjørn

I'm curious, is this a homework assignment? As already noted, it's a pretty broad, basic question for a working DBA to be asking without a specific issue in mind.

-Mark Bole

--
http://news.com.com/Google+fixes+glitch+that+unleashed+flood+of+porn/2100-1025_3-5969799.html
"I was just shocked," Ripley said. "I was inundated with page after page