Data Comparison

From: raghu <raghu_vnin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2005 15:59:46 -0800

Hi,

We are trying to compare the data of two tables of the same structure. In other words, the missing and the different records have to be determined. The database being used is Oracle 9i. The options I am currently evaluating are

  1. Minus Operator - Since the table has nearly 4 million records, I am not sure if this is a feasible option.
  2. Cursors - For each of the tables, cursors can be opened and then the data can be compared. But the data cannot be fetched in blocks (using the BULK COLLECT LIMIT option), since different records can be fetched for each table.

Though the time taken for the comparison is not a constraint, the number of hits to database and the processing memory certainly needs to be considered.

What are your thoughts? Are there any other mechanisms for comparison?

Thank you. Received on Sat Nov 26 2005 - 17:59:46 CST