Re: Oracle costs and requirements

From: Matt Bailey <mattb947_at_hotmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:06:01 GMT

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:15:36 GMT, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:22:41 +0000, Matt Bailey wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I risk sounding like an idiot here, but I'm a database newbie and I
>> don't know the first thing about Oracle - not a jot!
>>
>> I'm currently doing a University assignment that requires me to cost
>> out an Oracle database for a company, along with all its trimmings,
>> but I've been unable to find any information on the web.
>>
>> It's a small company and its data requirements are very small. I'm
>> wondering if anyone here can help me out with my estimation. I need to
>> know:
>>
>> A. What's required for an Oracle database?
>>
>> So far I'm assuming:
>>
>> A server (any particular kind?)
>> The Oracle 10g software
>> An Oracle license (don't have a clue about this)
>>
>> but is there anything else?
>>

>That's sufficient for holding the data. How 'bout managing, manipulating,
>updating and archiving the data? Generally you'd starting thing about the
>actual application and the environment - for example, ow do you plan for
>long-term backups?

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't considered back-ups or data administration, but you're right - it should all be part of the cost estimation. Do you have any links that could give information about what might be need to be costed out for data back-up provisions?

Matt Received on Thu Nov 24 2005 - 17:06:01 CST