Re: Oracle 10g - 32bit to 64bit conversion

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:52:16 -0800

"kawdes" <kawdes_at_no_spam.com> wrote in message news:dm2bd8$mfn$1_at_rainier.uits.indiana.edu...
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have metalink access and
the
> DBA that does claims it's not their job to do the Oracle conversion. I
guess
> it's time to see if the google-cache has any metalink entries hidden away
in it.

> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> > "kawdes" <kawdes_at_no_spam.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I'm an admin trying facilitate an Oracle conversion from 32bit to 64bit.
> >
> > We're
> >
> >>running AIX 5.3, I've got the old Oracle 32bit kernel extension unloaded
> >
> > and the
> >
> >>OS is now running a 64bit kernel.
> >>
> >>The question is, what does the DBA need to do or have me do to get
Oracle

> > up in
> >
> >>64bit mode? Is there a guide somewhere I can point my DBA to? I've done
> >
> > some
> >
> >>brief searching with not much results.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >

> > You need to run some scripts. Go to Metalink and search. File a TAR.
> > Jim

Fire the DBA. It is their job. I just did it for a 9i 32 to 64 bit conversion. It took all of 30 minutes. I shutdown the instance cleanly. I changed the paths to the 64 bit binaries. I started up in restricted mode. I ran the scripts the Metalink documents said. Then I shutdown and restarted the instance. I had to recompile some packages but the whole thing took 30 minutes. I did it on Solaris, but AIX is probably similar. The DBA should be willing to do this it is almost trivial. If your DBA doesn't know how to use Metalink to get the information then call them or get access in your company.

This DBA's attitide is sillyness.
Jim Received on Wed Nov 23 2005 - 13:52:16 CST