Re: Oracle licensing for dual core processors

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:53:50 -0800

webwarrior wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason why we have to pay more for licensing for a different
> kind of processor?
>
> Why are we not charged for the Hyperthreading on some processors also.
>
> If Oracle is really conserned about the low end business market (small
> and medium), then they should drop their attitude on Dual Core
> processors.
>
> If they start charging as if it was a normal processor, and ask the
> normal price, then they would get more of this market coming in.
>
> As long as Oracle keeps on having the attitude of charging more,
> because Intel or some other cpu vendor decided to mprove their
> processors because of overheating problems, I will have the attitude
> that I will keep on reoccomending alternatives for Orcle like Mysql /
> Postgre sql / Sybase, etc to the small/medium sector.
>
> Microsoft's pricing model on double core processors suddenly sound
> allot better.
>
> Oracle are shooting themselves in the foot! Or am I the only person
> feeling this way?
>
> Shaun O'Reilly

Both Standard Edition and Standard Edition One count 1 dual core processor as a single processor for licensing. For named user pricing, it's a moot point.

For confirmation see
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf

Specifically
"Notwithstanding the above, when licensing Oracle Standard Edition One or Standard Edition programs on servers with a maximum of 1 processor with 1 or 2 cores, only 1 processor shall be counted." Received on Tue Nov 22 2005 - 22:53:50 CST