Re: Oracle licensing for dual core processors

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 04:33:10 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1132716650.147820_at_yasure...
> webwarrior wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a reason why we have to pay more for licensing for a different
> > kind of processor?
> >
> > Why are we not charged for the Hyperthreading on some processors also.
> >
> > If Oracle is really conserned about the low end business market (small
> > and medium), then they should drop their attitude on Dual Core
> > processors.
>
> Nothing you've written makes sense. You need to discuss this with your
> Oracle Account Manager. And if you don't get satisfaction ... with his
> or her manager.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Oracle announce back in July that they would continue to charge a premium for licensing on dual core processors. They reduced the rate, however, to .75 processors per core. Licensing on a system with a single dual core processor (whether AMD or Intel) should be 1.5 times the rate of a single processor system. They might offer pricing packages that amend that, but it is their published pricing structure. Received on Tue Nov 22 2005 - 22:33:10 CST