Re: Oracle Licensing, guys i need your expert opinion on this.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:33:04 -0800

HansF wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:42:11 +0000, Paul wrote:
>

>>HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Oracle XE has the following limits:
>>>- Limited to 4GB user data.  (>4GB Generates an Oracle error.)
>>>- Limited to 1 CPU. (Only uses one CPU on SMP machines.)
>>>- Limited to 1 GB.  (Still testing - think it's SGA+PGA)
>>

>>>Oracle XE comes with a subset of SE[1] capability.  Biggest limitation is
>>>'no JVM' and therefore no Java Supplied procedures or APIs.  Biggest
>>>benefits are: Oracle SQL, Oracle reliability and pre-initialized HTMLDB.
>>

>>The OP said that his friend had a "small pharmacy". I can't see a
>>small pharmacy needing anything like a 4GB database. Of course, some
>>of the other features may be vital to the (presumably) pharmacy
>>management app.

> That's what it's all about. Many SMBs can get away with a bunch of
> discrete 1/4-2GB data sets and would be happy to put it in MSAccess ... so
> here's Oracle with a built-in HTMLDB and just the right size.
>
> Your typical SMB application uses a SQL data bucket managed by VB.Net or
> Java. Very few of those coders are interested in taking advantage of any
> RDBMS features because [insert cynical reason here]. So instead of
> offering features, let 'em have a reliable data bucket at the right price.
>
> Then, when the SMB realizes that the custom "don't buy the licenses, we
> can do it" coding has cost 3x the SE licenses, the SMB can easily upgrade.
>

> ps: [not directed at anyone, esp. Paul] My cynicism is based on
> experience. My sincere apologies if voicing my experience is offensive to
> 'your' sensibilities.

Given that we are talking about a pharmacy, if this is in the US, no sane pharmacist would touch MS Access unless they were looking for an invitation to lose their license.

Can you say SarbOx?
Can you say FACTA?
Can you say HIPAA?
Can you say "lawyers in a feeding frenzy"?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org