Re: Oracle Licensing, guys i need your expert opinion on this.

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:06:30 GMT

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:45:31 +0000, Jeremy wrote:

> For a completely free of charge solution he could try Oracle 10g XE (it
> is beta at present though and am sure support will have to be paid for
> separately). Worth bearing in mind though for the production release.

Oracle XE is currently in Beta.

Oracle's stated intent is that Oracle XE will be FREE and there will be no Oracle Metalink-style support. Support will be provided by:

  1. The Oracle XE discussion forum. (You see me on that.)
  2. Third party - paid or free (Myself included.)
  3. Patches and upgrades will be done by Oracle applying the patch and providing a full replacement download.

Oracle XE has the following limits:

- Limited to 4GB user data.  (>4GB Generates an Oracle error.)
- Limited to 1 CPU. (Only uses one CPU on SMP machines.)
- Limited to 1 GB.  (Still testing - think it's SGA+PGA)

Oracle XE comes with a subset of SE[1] capability. Biggest limitation is 'no JVM' and therefore no Java Supplied procedures or APIs. Biggest benefits are: Oracle SQL, Oracle reliability and pre-initialized HTMLDB.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com