Re: Edit a previous command

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 17 Nov 2005 19:02:15 -0700

milkyway (d0mufasa_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hello,

: Sometimes when I do a query, I make a mistake in typing in some
: characters.

: Then I have to do the whole query over and type in everything again ;-(

: Is there a way to edit what was previously typed in so that I don't
: have to do this?

Malcolm's Generic IDE

Open a window to run the tool (in this case SQL*PLUS) I place this on the left.

Open another window to run an editor. On Windows, Notepad will do well enough if you have nothing better. I place this on the right.

Edit a file called "notes.txt" and save it from time to time.

Build your statements in the notepad window. When ready then cut and paste a command into SQL*PLUS. With practise, this can be done very efficiently using about four key strokes.

Save any important output you wish to remember later by cut and pasting into the notes file. Position the output after the command you ran and voila! instant documentation of everything important that you did.

If you make a mistake then correct it and cut/paste the query and run it again.

Save the notes file every once in a while (did I already say that?)

$0.10

P.S. Notice that this "IDE" works just as well with almost any task you have to do, not just sql*plus or oracle. Add a few batch files (or in this case SQL scripts to run) and you have an integrated environment for any task that works in virtually any environment.

--

This programmer available for rent.