Re: Join table to file?

From: <reuben.nantogmah_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2005 08:16:45 -0800

External tables are a great idea. I found a good example here http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/SQLNewFeatures9i.php and also in the oracle users guide. The trouble I had with it is that I could not create the default directory again because of the issue of privileges. I found a better solution though in the form of temporary tables. You can read more about it here.
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/TemporaryTables.php I used excel to construct my insert statements for one row and copy formulas down then pasted into my sql script. Obviously if you have a really large data set this might not be for you but still it's a good workaround if you don't have create permissions on your db.

r. Received on Thu Nov 17 2005 - 10:16:45 CST