Re: How to get output text immediately

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:19:09 +0100

Robert Wehofer schrieb:

>>It depends , how you are logging. And it depends, how OUTPUT is defined.
>>The most straight forward way to get your message to see immediately (
>>for example - you have a script running in the sqlplus and output is
>>your console, maybe redirected to file ) - simply select your message
>>from dual.
>>
>>SELECT 'The long running process begins...' FROM DUAL;
>>BEGIN
>>   --long running process
>>END;

> That seems not to work in a PL/SQL procedure.
>
> In SQL Plus I'll get the error message
>
> PLS-00428: INTO clause expected in SELECT statement
>
> Robert

Plsql is supposed to run on the server and in general case detached from any kind of output device. To get the message from a pl sql unit you have to use some kind of interprocess communication - the numerous examples how to do that were given you in all other replies to you post.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Nov 15 2005 - 04:19:09 CST