Re: Any free beginner tutorials online?

From: News <news_connection_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:29:28 +0100

It's easy to get confused with the huge amount of documentation available. You need some plan consisting of some points you will explore in order. These are IMHO the areas you should learn about: (I advice to learn from Oracle 8i docs)

Oracle8i Architecture
Managing the Database Password File
Configuring Net8
Database Space Management
SQL Plus and Server Manager
Export Utility
Import Utility
SQL Loader
Managing Users and Security
Using Fine-Grained Access Control
Managing Tables & Indexes
Working with Views, Synonyms, and Sequences Selecting Data with SQL
Using DML Statements
Optimizers and Statistics
Tuning SQL Statements
Tuning an Oracle Database
Backup and Recovery - RMAN - Log Miner
PL/SQL
Procedures, Packages, Functions, and Triggers Auditing Features
WebDB
Partitioning
Large Object Types
Object Features
Implementing Resource Management

And take a look at :
The SQL Syntax Reference
SQL Built-in Functions
SQL Plus Reference

You can find a good introduction to all this in "Oracle 8i DBA Bible.pdf" you can download using edonkey.

Then go to http://tahiti.oracle.com, http://otn.oracle.com, http://asktom.oracle.com, http://www.idevelopment.info, http://www.uaex.edu/srea/bkupreco.htm etc.. only if you want to deepen some specific points.

This assumes you have Oracle installed from: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html

Many commands won't work in 10g but this is good way to learn what's new in 9i and 10g.

After that you can take a look at standby DB / RAC / Data Guard / clustering / Load balancing/ Replication / Data Warehousing & Materialized Views and differences between versions.

P.S: may be someone could complete the list with important areas I omitted ?