Re: Oracle network authentication encryption?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:57:28 +0100

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:17:26 +0100, "Jeroen" <jeroen_at_isvet.nl> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm interested in the algorithm used by Oracle 9i/10g to encrypt client
>logons over the network (O3LOGON). What is it? Is it safe? Can I change it
>to possibly better algorithms/longer keylengths?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jeroen

1 Please do not crosspost, especially not to a group (comp.databases.oracle) that has been split up and abandoned many years ago and isn't carried by many providers. Also do not crosspost as most regulars monitor all groups, so you are only wasting bandwith 2 It is some sort of DES encryption.
3 According to some people it is not safe, but then again I notice many firms don't have any security at all (ie password=username), being forced into that by their application vendors 4 Obviously you can not change it.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA