Connectivity help

From: J.A. Cooper <julius.cooper_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2005 13:56:11 -0800

Hello all,

I am setting up a new system for one of our clients, consisting of seven workstations and three servers in a replicated environment.

While testing, I got everything configured using GLOBAL_NAMES. Now, I'm being told that I won't be able to use the domain at the client site, so I have to figure out how to get the databases on the different machines to talk to one another.

My first thought was to use the normal TNSNAMES.ORA, as follows:

ora1 =
(description =

    (address_list =
(address = (protocol = tcp)(host = server1.me.com)(port = 1521)))
    (connect_data = (service_name = ora1)) )

ora2 =
(description =

    (address_list =
(address = (protocol = tcp)(host = server2.me.com)(port = 1521)))
    (connect_data = (service_name = ora2)) )

and then configure the LISTENER.ORA (on both servers) as such:

listener =
  (description =
    (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = server1.me.com)(port = 1521))   )

listener2 =
  (description =
    (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = server2.me.com)(port = 1521))   )

sid_list_listener =
  (sid_list =
    (sid_desc =
(global_dbname = ora1)
(oracle_home = c:\oracle\ora92)
(sid_name = ora1)

    )
    (sid_desc =
(global_dbname = ora2)
(oracle_home = c:\oracle\ora92)
(sid_name = ora2)

    )
  )

sid_list_listener2 =
  (sid_list =
    (sid_desc =
(global_dbname = ora1)
(oracle_home = c:\oracle\ora92)
(sid_name = ora1)

    )
    (sid_desc =
(global_dbname = ora2)
(oracle_home = c:\oracle\ora92)
(sid_name = ora2)

    )
  )

As you might imagine, when you're on Server1, and want to get to Ora1, you can connect just fine (likewise, gettting to Ora2 on Server2). However, when you try to "criss-cross" and hit either Ora1 from Server2 or Ora2 from Server1, you get:

ora-12541: TNS: no listener

I tried configuring this via the Net Manager, as well, and while it seems to be letting me create a Listener and a Listener2 with 2 different addresses, I'm not having any more luck with that approach than this.

Your assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Julius Received on Thu Nov 10 2005 - 15:56:11 CST