Re: getting error on UTL_FILE.FOPEN

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:09:17 -0800

Maxim Demenko wrote:

>> Did you grant READ on the directory?

> <quote>
> When you create a directory, you are automatically granted the READ and
> WRITE object privileges on the directory, and you can grant these
> privileges to other users and roles. The DBA can also grant these
> privileges to other users and roles.
> </quote>
>
> Best regards
>
> Maxim

Yes and no.

CREATE DIRECTORY is only granted by default to SYS and the DBA role. If you created the directory as SYS or SYSTEM, and then try to use it as a schema owner other than SYS or SYSTEM it will not work. The directory's creator must grant READ on the DIRECTORY to the schema owner that will use it as is stated in what you copied.

Hopefully the person using UTL_FILE is not doing so as SYS or SYSTEM thus my concern that READ be granted to the end-user schema.

Likely we have just been miscommunicating as I'm sure you knew this.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org