Re: Looking for a SQL Function

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:06:55 GMT

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:35:45 -0800, R. P. wrote:

> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:

>> Suit yourself. If you don't want free and unfettered access to the
>> software, documentation, tutorials, sample code and user forums, no
>> one is
>> asking you to sign up.
>>
>> For the record - I'd signed up over 6 years ago using a special email
>> ID I created for the purpose, and have kept all 28 emails that I've
>> received from them since then. But then, I suppose you've never heard
>> of
>> gmail either?
>
> No need to get vitriolic. Yes, I too have a gmail account but they are
> asking much more than just email address. Have you checked their sign-up
> form lately?
>
> R. P.

Yes I have. As a matter of fact, I encourage all of my students to sign up, using faked information if they feel uncomfortable giving private info. Three did - two weeks ago. Access to up-to-date information Oracle is offering happens to be important to them as they want to do their job well.

Let's look at the details information they ask of us ...

  1. Email & password ... this becomes your userid
  2. "Please help us provide you with better service by taking a few moments to confirm your personal information." So they ask for:

   Given Name* Family Name*
   Company*
   Business Phone*
   Your preferred language*
   Your primary job role*
   Your company's industry*
   Your job title*
   Country*/Address 1*/City*/State/Province*/Postal Code*

and that's all. Not too bad, from my perspective.

And then tell them you want on to Technology Network, and unsubscribe from everything else.

No different from signing up with Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Yahoo, etc. to the point where they are providing a service. And believe me, Oracle's documentation is a major service.

I suppose for some it's better to be half-blind and ask others what SQL Functions are available, than to look it up themselves.

No vitriol involved - I just can't understand your attitude, that's all.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com