Impact of foreign key on insert or update to Parent table

From: <mavic.sood_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2005 10:24:17 -0800

In case of a Foreign key constraint on the child table in a parent and child relationship, how does the Foreign key contraint impact the performance of any massive Insert or Update on the PARENT table? The specific scenario does not update the primary key of the parent table. This parent table primary key is the one that is used by the child table to define the foreign key.

Would we see better performance for Insert or Update of records in PARENT table if we disabled the constraint on the child table?

Thanks Received on Wed Nov 09 2005 - 12:24:17 CST