Re: classic ora-00904 & Crystal

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:49:10 GMT

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:38:58 -0600, MarkD wrote:

> Hi,
> Im new to oracle but I do have a background in sql server.
>
> I created a view and attached it as a datasource in Crystal. I can add the
> fields to the report, but when I preview the report, I get "ODBC Error
> ..... ORA-00904: invalid identifier". I've been looking for a solution for
> a few days and no one seems to know.

SQLServer goes far beyond the spec in what it allows for table and column names. This causes no end of confusion when dealing with non-SQLServer systems such as Oracle.

By default, all Oracle table and column names are upper case, max 30 characters, no embedded spaces, no reserved words. These rules are documented in the Identifiers section of the SQL Reference manual for whatever version of Oracle you are using, at http://docs.oracle.com

Hope that helps

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com