Re: Looking for a SQL Function

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:10:34 GMT

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:33:48 -0800, R. P. wrote:

> "Michael O'Shea" <mdo_remove_at_strychnine.co.uk> wrote:

>> To extend to the contributions in this thread so far, if the
>> requirement were that the substring was a regex rather than a string
>> literal, then the following snippet might prove useful.
>>
>> The example demonstrates how to count the number of occurrences of a
>> substring (in this case two consecutive letters between A and M
>> followed by a digit) in SQL.
>>
>> Oracle 10g regular expression extensions are discussed here:
>> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200.pdf
>
> That's definitely something that might come handy some day. Too bad
> though that one has to register for that link.
>
> Rudy

Yup. All of Oracle's documentation, tech software, sample code and tutorials on OTN are free for the taking .... if you register.

Registration means creating a userid and providing a [possibly fake] email address. It really doesn't hurt to do it.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com