Re: Help with junk characters

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 04 Nov 2005 10:38:47 GMT

News <Contact_404_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Even better would be to use a hex editor to verify that the line is the
>> same in both files.

> Yes indeed. There's difference between 2 files. In generated .dat
> file that won't transfer correctly there's 00 hex after each
> character. When I copy/paste the same text into new file, 00 disappears
> and it transfers correctly.

This looks like the original file was encoded using the UCS-2 or the UTF-16 codepage.

Ultraedit probably 'autodetects' that and displays it correctly.

Maybe you can tell the program that generates the file to write a different codepage. Alternatively, you could tell the program that consumes the file to assume the correct codepage.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Fri Nov 04 2005 - 04:38:47 CST