Re: looking for Oracle Database 10g Express Edition win32 release

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:51:43 -0800

Thanks for the note - Comments inline

HansF wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:54:11 -0800, Mark Townsend amused us by writing:
>

> Mark,
>
> Congrats to Oracle and 'the team' for this amazing step. I know there is
> a lot of pent up demand here that can take advantage of [what] this
> [appears to be].

Here's hoping. It is a big step. Hopefully this will mean lots more people building applications and running Oracle, which is think is a win:win for everyone concerned (including the developers and users ;-) )

> It's probably too early to disclose yet, but I/we would appreciate an
> answer when available:
>
> 1) Will this be under a similar 'supportable' license as JDeveloper?
> (ie. free for production use, paid support)

The plan is no support. If users want support then they need to use one of the licensable editions. No patches either - if we need to patch it, then we will just re-release a patched edition, users can download and re-install. We will provide an online forum on OTN for 'how to' type questions, hosted by Tom Kyte. All of us will be answering questions for a good while, but the aim is to develop the community and have the members of the forum support each other.

> 2) Will the 10.2 License docco be updated to reflect this edition? or at
> least a supplement to the docco be made available?

We will update the 10g License Doc by the time XE goes production

Note that Express Edition comes with it's own doc - http://www.oracle.com/pls/xe102/homepage

These in turn 'fall into' the 10g doc via deep links, but are produced in the same vein as the original 2 Day content - get the first time user up and started, and then disclose further information in a 'just in time' manner.

> (I refer to OracleŽ Database Licensing Information 10g Release 2 (10.2)
> Part Number B14199-01 .... that's the first stop in every Oracle DB 10g
> course I teach!)

Hopefully this will lead to many more courses being taught to many more Oracle users. Nobody needs to settle anymore; now everyone can have the best :-) Received on Mon Oct 31 2005 - 00:51:43 CST