Re: Extreme beginner questions

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:24:12 GMT

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:52:59 -0500, news.comcast.net amused us by writing:

> Where is this found?
> I looked through all the menu Items that were installed, and couldn't find
> an Oracle Enterprise Manager. Is it a separate download?

Now that you have provided your ORacle version, I can answer (as it differs by version).

Enterprise Manager in 10g uses JSP and a browser-based interface. There is a background service on the server called the DB Control. You access it per the instructions on the last screen of your install - usually something like

        http://{your server}:5500/em

(It runs within the emctl environment - on Linux I'd start it as 'emctl start dbconsole' or, IIRC, as a service in Windows.)

It's strange that you didn't run across the references to the Enterprise Manager when you were looking through the Install Manual or Oracle's online docco, especially in the 'Post Install' section of the Install manual, where important port-installation steps are noted.

Chapter 5 of the Installation Guide for Windows covers this in detail. You might find it convenient to go to http://docs.oracle.com and View Library for the 10g Database to get that that manual.

I recommend a thorough reading of the 2-Day DBA manual before proceeding much more. It covers a lot of the beginners questions here and asking them here takes 2-20 times longer than reading that simple manual.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com