Re: Extreme beginner questions

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:15:21 GMT

> I come from a SQL Server world, so again, please excuse my extreme
> newbiness - -

Thanks for letting us know. You will find a lot of differences, starting with "a SQL Server Database is roughly equivalent to an Oracle Schema"

> 1. What is the default username for Oracle?

There is NO default username. The data dictionary (master DB) is owned by user SYS, which you should never need to access. The primary DBA userid is SYSTEM, which you would use to create your DBA and the users.

> 2. Is the Oracle Admin Assistant akin to the Enterprise manager in SQL
> Server?

Never used Enterprise Manager in SS, so I couldn't answer that. However, Oracle's management console is called 'Oracle Enterprise Manager' and that might be what you want.

You need to expand a few things: what version of Oracle, and what version of Windows XP. If you have XP Home you can expect the unexpected - things just don't work quite right. This is especially true for a fresh install of XP Home, as compared to an upgrade.

> 3. I try to connect in OAA - and it asks me for a Net Service Name - - where
> do I find that?

Check the Services to see whether you have someling listed like 'OraListenerxxxx' - the xxxx is your net service name, and probably matches the Instance name.

I STRONGLY encourage you to

  1. Get O'Reilly book "Oracle Essentials" (oracle.oreilly.com) to help you get through the differences in architecture, use and terminlogy between the SS and Oracle.
  2. Read the Installation Manual for your version of Oracle database on Windows. It may be boring, but it will help you avoid some of the abuse and confusion typical newbies face. Especially read the 'post install' section, as it is rather important to get the config right after the base install.
  3. Got to http://otn.oracle.com, check out the Training menu item, and specifically look for "Oracle By Example" to give you a tutorial to get started. Be prepared to see Linux stuff, but any reasonably intelligent person should be able to translate between Windows and Linux stuff - especially after reading the install manual.
--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com