How to merge two files like the following with the XML parser

From: <karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2005 13:51:51 -0700

I have two text files.

I want to merge them together as follows:

File1.txt

SCREEN,
PROGRAM,

FIELD1,
VALUE1,
FIELD2,
VALUE2,
FIELD3,
VALUE3,

================================

================================

File2.txt

S1,P1,F11,V11,F12,V12,F13,V13
S2,P2,F21,V21,F22,V22,F23,V23

Now when I merge the two files together I want the following file:

File3.txt

SCREEN, S1
PROGRAM,P1

FIELD1,F11
VALUE1,V11
FIELD2,F12
VALUE2,V12
FIELD3,F13
VALUE3,V13
SCREEN, S2

PROGRAM,P2
FIELD1,F21
VALUE1,V21
FIELD2,F22
VALUE2,V22
FIELD3,F23
VALUE3,V23

I want a generic script that can merge file1.txt and file2.txt to generate file3.txt

I want a script that can take a template of File1.txt as follows:

SCREEN, <<S>>
PROGRAM, <<P>>
FIELD1, <<C1>>
VALUE1, <<C2>>
FIELD2, <<C3>>
VALUE2, <<C4>>
FIELD3, <<C5>>
VALUE3, <<C6>>

and the file2.txt to identify what goes to <<S>>, <<P>> in the following form:

File2.txt
S1,P1,F11,V11,F12,V12,F13,V13
S2,P2,F21,V21,F22,V22,F23,V23

So I want a generic XML parser based utility that can accept three arguments for file1, file2 and file3 and can merge the template of file1 to the contents in file2 to be substituted in file1 to generate file3.

Appreciate if any of you can kindly share code to get the XML parser to do this which most of you would have faced with such a similar problem.

It is almost like a mail merge but the data volumes can be large and it is not practical to use MS Word.

To keep it simple I want the whole merge process in XML parser.

Appreciate if you could kindly share how to get this done with the XML parser.

Thanks
Karen Received on Thu Oct 27 2005 - 15:51:51 CDT