Re: 10g shared flash recovery area size

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:15:21 GMT

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:38:48 -0700, haiwu.us amused us by writing:

> We have 2 database instances running on the same Oracle 10g RAC, say
> their database names are 'db1' and 'db2'.
> For 'db1': db_recovery_file_dest_size=10G;
> db_recovery_file_dest='/oracle/flash_recovery_area';
> For 'db2': db_recovery_file_dest_size=10G;
> db_recovery_file_dest='/oracle/flash_recovery_area';
>
> Both 'db1' and 'db2' are sharing the same folder
> ('/oracle/flash_recovery_area') as their flash_recovery_area. Oracle
> will auto-create 2 folders under the recovery area folder:
> '/oracle/flash_recovery_area/DB1' and
> '/oracle/flash_recovery_area/DB2'.
>
> My question is:
> How does Oracle determine the flash recovery area size? Would it
> caculate the max size for contents under '/oracle/flash_recovery_area'
> as 20GB? Or is it still just 10GB?
>
> Thanks,

Hmmmm. No time to check the docs, I guess.

Your friendly internet automatic docco reading service will therefore read for you and quote from the "OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Basics" 10g R2 manual, found at http://docs.oracle.com, in section 3.5.4.3 titled "Sharing a Flash Recovery Area Among Multiple Databases"

"
When databases share a single flash recovery area in this fashion, the file system or ASM disk group holding the flash recovery area should be large enough to hold all of the recovery files for all of the databases. Add all the values for DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE for the different databases, and then allow for any overhead such as mirroring or compression in allocating actual disk space, as described in "Flash Recovery Area Size: DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE". "

Can I share your paycheck too? <g>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com