Re: VB, Oracle, Asynchronous execution of procedures

From: Michael B. Johnson <mjohnson_at_veribox.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:15:55 -0500

On 26 Oct 2005 11:20:27 -0700, "Chris L." <diversos_at_uol.com.ar> wrote:

>How could I launch a package/procedure from VB and avoid the
>client-side wait for the procedure to finish?
>
>I've tried setting up an insertion trigger on a dummy table, then
>invoking the procedure from the trigger (the trigger has the "pragma
>autonomous_transaction")
>
>No success so far. VB inserts the record, the trigger starts the
>procedure, but VB waits for the procedure to finish despite the pragma.
>How could I solve this?

Are you using ADO? (Or is it RDO, ODBC API, other?)

If so, then look at the documentation for "adAsyncExecute".

Hits I got included

* Asynchronously Executing a Command
* State Property Example (VB)
* Execute Method (ADO Command)

Regardless of the pragma on the Oracle side, you're going to have to inform the client-side that it should not block while waiting.

Hope this helps....

Michael B. Johnson Received on Wed Oct 26 2005 - 17:15:55 CDT