Colour Blindness & Screen Colours in Computer Applications

From: Tim Marshall <TIMMY!_at_PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:16:52 -0230

In a recent review of someone's web site on a hobby forum, one poster mentioned the difficulties for folks with some forms of colour blindness to see some of the text of the web site in question.

Are there any general guidelines for this sort of thing in designing screens in computer applications?

At work, I'm in the middle of a very large reporting application which will be my biggest effort there so far and at home, I've been designing simply the largest database application I've ever done (as far as screens/forms and amount of code goes), a hobby related application (Yes, what a great life, coding at work, with breaks to do managerial type things, then home, eat supper, kiss wife, feed parrots and then sit down and code, I have danced near insanity a couple of times...)

For both of these, I'd like to "do it right" and would really appreciate it it greatly if anyone could make some comments on this issue. Yes, I have huge amounts done on these apps, but I'm not yet at deployment stage, so pretty much any of the GUI can be changed.

Thanks very much in advance. This has been multi-posted to a couple of database groups.

--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<