Re: error creating materialized view

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:33:46 GMT

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:40:13 -0400, JS interested us by writing:

> Now I get
>
> ORA-20000: Invalid CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW statement because of:
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

It is truly commendable that you are trying to use the Materialized View (MV) feature of the database.

You seem to have a few gaps in understanding what MVs are and how they work. I highly recommend reading the short chapter in the "Oracle9i Data Warehousing Guide" which discusses all of this in detail, including how and when to create and manage them and how to handle the above error.

For your convenience, the direct link (which may be wrapped) to the doc is http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96520/mv.htm#721

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com