Linux filesystem turns read-only when creating tablespaces (Oracle 10g) ?

From: hipo <fjrdrc_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2005 07:39:25 -0700

Hi:

We're having some problem with Oracle 10g while creating some tablespaces and we wonder if someone around here could help us a little bit (thanks!)

Oracle 10g
Linux Fedora Core 3
Common 32 bit PC machine (nothing big).

We started with one disk, the same disk that holds the Oracle instance. No probs here. We could create any tablespace we wanted.

We wanted to add a new hard disk. We installed it as any other disk in Linux and mounted in '/new'. The disk seems to work fine.

The problem is that we couldn't create a tablespace in the new disk that holds data files that altogether going up to 2 Gbytes.... whenever we try to do something like this, the creation of the tablespace gives an error and the hard disk turns READ-ONLY! So we have to umount and mount again the disk (in fact we have to restart the computer as umount command can't do it even with the force option).

The error is like:
Failed to commit: ORA-19510: Failed to set size of 202367 blocks for file 'whatever' ORA-2701: Unable to open file linux error 30: Read only system Additional info: 4 ORA-19502: Write error on file.........

Anyway, the thing is that we can do this in our old disk.... I could make a tablespace with 3 files, for example, 1 Gb, 2Gb and 1 Gb... and it works...

So... Why in one disk and not in the other? What are we missing here??? Do we have to do something with our new disk???

Probably it's an easy thing, but it's the first time we face something like this.

Thank you,

Regards
Fran Received on Tue Oct 18 2005 - 09:39:25 CDT