Re: doubt on order of table scan

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:34:04 -0700

News wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>News wrote:
>>In this case your use of the phrase "clustered index" indicates that you
>>have not read the Oracle docs.

> I know there are only 2 types of index in Oracle: b-tree and bitmap and what
> "Clustered Tables" means but could you tell me if each block in Oracle
> points to the next and previous blocks ? If so then the internal mechanisms
> are the same.

Two types of indexes in Oracle? What cave have you been living in?

Oracle Index Types
B*Tree
Bitmap
Bitmap Join
Cluster
Compressed
Descending
Function Based Normal
Function Based Domain
Index Organized Table (IOT)
LOB
No Segment (Virtual)
Reverse

I'd suggest you start with the following:

SQL> select distinct index_type from dba_indexes;

And then look at the examples at:
http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on Indexes

You need to invest time reading the docs or you might as well go back to Sybase.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org