Re: doubt on order of table scan

From: News <news_connection_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:54:46 +0200

"News" <news_connection_at_yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:dit8d1$c20$1_at_apollon.grec.isp.9tel.net...
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
> could you tell me if each block in Oracle points to the next and previous
> blocks ?

Ok there's no such thing because blocks are contiguous within extent. So for table scan without index, Oracle reads the content of extents within segments in the order in which they are declared in the header of the segment ? and within the extent it reads adjacent data blocks as a whole. Extents are not contiguous so the order in which it reads extents varies since allocation deallocation of extents may happen meanwhile when inserts/deletes occur.
So I think the right answer is not from top to bottom or bottom to top but arbitrary? Received on Sun Oct 16 2005 - 05:54:46 CDT