Re: doubt on order of table scan

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:35:07 -0700

IANAL_VISTA wrote:
> "News" <news_connection_at_yahoo.fr> wrote in
>

>>I don't know what matters but if I were who implement it I would sacn
>>in the order of the indexed column if an index is used or in the order
>>of page chains if it's scan without an index.
>>

> Which index is used if more than 1 index exists?
>
> What happens if the index is on a NULLable column?
>
> So the most correct answer is "From the inside outwards!".

If one assumes an index scan then it would presumably the order of blocks in the index ... not the table.

If one assumes a full table scan on the table than an order may exist but will be irrelevant.

Still I think, going back to the original interview question, it demonstrates a terrible interview with either someone that is clueless or someone trying to play one-upsmanship games.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org