Re: What do Oracle professionals think of Fabian Pascal?

From: <ravi.ven_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2005 08:59:51 -0700

mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > 2) Constraint Support
>
> > Eg i) a declarative constraint to ensure each invoice must have at
> > least 1 line item (which can only be simulated with a constraint on a
> > materialised view which outer joins invoice_header and
> > invoice_line_item ) .
>
> Why "simulated"? This is pretty legitimate way to enforce complex
> constraints (aka ANSI standard assertions).

  The major problem with the materialized view approach is the very fact that you have to create a materialized view! What additional benefit does the view confer to the user? Would it not be better to declaratively state your intent and let the DBMS figure out how to implement it?

> Constraint enhancements is not a top priority nowadays. Wake up: the
> bleading edge of research and development is XML, Fusion, whatever.

  Which is exactly what people have been complaining about! Database or RM research is not about XML. They are two different fields.

> > To answer you original question I think that Fabian Pascal , Chris Date
> > , Hugh Darwen , David Mc Goveran are the first authors we need to read
> > in order to understand our subject .
>
> This is true to some extent, but may I suggest that there were a lot
> more people who defined and shaped the database world as it exists
> today.

  Other than Codd I can not think of anybody else who has made significant contributions to Relational Modelling. Of course, my knowledge is very limited. Could you please enlighten me on the other luminaries in this field?

Ravi Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 10:59:51 CDT