Re: MS Access, Oracle 9i, security, and pass-thru update queries

From: Tim Marshall <TIMMY!_at_PurplePandaChasers.Moertherium>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:54:03 -0230

Tim Marshall wrote:

> If the tables to which updates are being performed by non-admin people
> are limited, ie, not all the tables in the database, it might also be
> advisable to consider a new user with grant update on TABLE_NAME to
> UserName and use THAT in the constant above.

Another thing to keep in mind with development. I only use PTQs and Oracle SQL, largely because I prefer the theta join methods versus the ansi joins Access against linked tables. I find this much, much easier to write procedures to construct a select or other statement based on criteria chosen/specified by the user in the forms.

I will always make sure I have a user name with grant select on the tables I require and no other insert, delete, update, etc privileges. It's against that user that I write a DSN and save my PTQs, which you will need for things like combo boxes and list boxes for your forms. Even if you use linked tables, it's still advisable to set up the links with the select only user DSN.

Any and all action statements are done as per my example in my first post.

You can use ADO without the need for saving querydefs and without the need for DSNs, something I was very excited about UNTIL I discovered Access has no support ofr ADO in report writing in mdbs/mdes. 8(

--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<