Re: calling sql from korn shell script

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Oct 2005 16:19:19 -0700

Actually, I do both - when I _can_, I like to take the high road, but all too often I admit I do your cynical viewpoint. I really was better with sh's when I had 2-4 years on them and it was all new and wonderful. Now I just need to get stuff done and have it run right. I still delve into Unix Power Tools for all the stuff I've forgotten how to do.

I did it today in fact. I had never actually had to use rman to backup a noarchivelog db. So I hacked on my elderly production scripts until I got to where it works on the test db. Completely different by the time I'm done, and that's it. No elegance or much learning necessary. Though I did find and fix a bug in a related application script in the process.

I never thought it was particularly a bad thing to keep from using every newfangled feature specific to a shell, generally keeping things as neutral as possible. Of course, I've spent a lot of time making things work across platforms/databases etc. so maybe that's just an idiosyncracy.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.plover.com/~mjd/Discordia/