Re: Oracle 10g on Mac OS X 10.4

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:28:59 -0700

Just Fred wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Just Fred wrote:
>>
>>> Just out of curiousity, has anyone installed and been able to run
>>> Oracle 10g on "plain" Mac OS X 10.4?  The docs maintain that OS X
>>> Server is required.
>>>
>>> I'd like to install on my G4 PowerBook (1.67Ghz/1GB/100GB) and
>>> play/learn it.  Any hints or tips?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>

>> It will work but it will not be supported by either Apple or Oracle.
>> The officially supported version is Panther (10.3.6).

> That's great! I am not looking for support from either, I am just
> looking to have a local install with which to "play." I have downloaded
> the package and just wanted to check with others before I started out
> and spent a long time prepping just to learn that the installer would
> choke, or somewhere along the line things would just stop dead in their
> tracks.
>
> Off I go... ;-)
>
> Thanks.

Hit google.com and you will find several sets of instructions. I think there was also a set published in c.d.o.server within the last two or three months. But my personal recommendation would be to reinstall the O/S with Panther and patch to 10.3.9. You will get all of the experience without the headaches.

I've little doubt both Apple and Oracle are currently working on a 10gR2 Tiger release.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org