Re: Oracle Text Vs. other Search Products

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:43:41 GMT

"mvbokker" <marie.v.bokker_at_boeing.com> wrote in news:1128789346.306159.248240_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> The text is strictly ASCII. The source of the data comes from an IMS
> database that is currently extracted by a cobol program and formatted
> (as a document) into a text file and html file in windows folders for a
> search program called ISYS to use to search (on the web). They use ISYS
> to search all the text files (documents) in the folders and list
> document titles where they can go in and see the actual hits
> (highlighted).
>
> This doesn't really meet the users requirements. They want the ability
> to list the document numbers that contain what they are looking for,
> decide which ones they want to keep based on some key info returned to
> them, and then store this key information for reporting.
>
> Problem with the current method is the users cannot do much with what
> it returns. They have an oracle data mart now with most the fields from
> this mainframe application minus the large text fields (which they are
> currently using to search with ISYS within windows folders). I am
> looking at the following options...
>
> 1). Should I move these large text blocks into the oracle data mart and
> use a tool to do advanced searches there? Here the data would be
> included within the data mart so the users could report any way they
> want off the results and include other fields from the main data base.

My initial answer is you should NOT move the data, unless it NEVER changes. If the data on the mainframe changes, you'd introduce the need to maintain the changes on the Oracle side; in addition to solving the original problem.

> 2). Should I leave the text where it is but create a new gui that will
> give them the option to pick from the returned list and store the
> results or possibly use the results to query off the data mart for
> additional information.

Yes.

> and I have the question...
>
> which tool would be better for performing smart searches....Oracle,
> ISYS, ??

Benchmark would answer the question above.

Alternatively, some code could be written that would create/maintain a key word vs. article cross reference list in the Oracle DB; from which the user could be presented the selections which matched their criteria. Received on Sat Oct 08 2005 - 11:43:41 CDT