Re: calling sql from korn shell script

From: William Robertson <william.robertson_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2005 15:42:18 -0700

HansF wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:13:50 -0700, joel-garry interested us by writing:
>

> > It might help if posters are clear on exactly what the problem is.
> >

> Over in comp.lang.java.help, Roedy Green posted a relevant commentary
> titled 'How to torment Samaritans' discussing exactly this.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***

It works for me (except ksh isn't in /usr/bin on my system). However I try not to put SQL and database logic in client applications unless absolutely necessary.

I'm also puzzled about why I so often see #!/bin/ksh at the top of Bourne shell scripts. You know ksh has "!=", and arithmetic expressions, and you can write "if somecommand then..."? Is it ksh just so you can use "\n" for newlines in echo (print) commands? And why is $logfile declared if it's never used? Received on Fri Oct 07 2005 - 17:42:18 CDT