Re: Best practice question: Updating Aggregates

From: <casey.kirkpatrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2005 08:19:25 -0700

Dan,

I find your response a bit disconcerting - do you actually encourage students to evaluate final solutions based on "which one goes fastest", in lieu of evaluation of flexibility, maintainability, and data integrity (the issues I actually asked about in my post)?

Believe me, I do care about performance. But my cumulative 15 years of collegiate and work experience has reinforced one mantra that never fails: "OPTIMIZE LAST".

Please don't make your students learn this the hard way. And, by the way, do you see any strong points with the options I outlined above with respect to best coding practice?

Regards,

CK Received on Fri Oct 07 2005 - 10:19:25 CDT