Re: dbms_output and trigger

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:49:29 -0400

<rshriyan_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been working with oracle for sometime and few days back a
> collegue asked me a very simple question and I felt ashamed to say I
> didnt have a definitive answer :).
>
> Appareantly in one of our production instance someone migrated a
> trigger code with dbms_output.put_line. I know in Java world if you
> have debug commands and if you keep the debug level low, Your app
> performance goes down due to the extra I/O.
>
> When it comes to oracle is it true too?, Becuase the dbms_output writes
> to console which doesnt get redirected to any log file??. Can someone
> shed some light, may be someway to measure it.
>
> Thanks
> Rajesh

dbms_output does not write to the console -- there really isn't such a concept with oracle (the alert log comes closest)

dbms_output.put_line writes to the dbms_output package storage structures

AFAIK if the dbms_output package is not initialized prior to calling dbms_output.put_line, nothing is written ... but you may want to look up the package in the oracle manual to see if it has any specifics on that

++ mcs Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 16:49:29 CDT