Re: oracle 9.2 processes

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:00:41 -0700

badgolferman wrote:
> I have installed Oracle 9.2i for WXP from the Oracle website for my
> wife's online class. It's certainly the biggest installation I've ever
> done on a computer -- 2.8 GB of junk.
>
> My question is this: There are numerous processes started by the
> installation program including a server. I really don't like all these
> automatically starting processes and especially the server so I would
> lie to know if there are certain ones that can be disabled without
> affecting the program use.
>
> OracleMTSRecoveryService
> OracleOraHome92Agent
> OracleHome92HTTPServer
> OracleOraHome92PagingServer
> OracleOraHome92NMPPeerMasterAgent
> OracleOraHome92TNSListener
> OracleServiceTest
>
> Are all these necessary or can I disable some of them? I am capable of
> Computer Management.

Your tone is so offensive ("2.8GB of junk" when you haven't a clue what you are looking at) I came close to duplicating what others apprently did and ignore you. But given that I am an academic I am throwing caution to the wind.

  1. It is your wife's class ... she should install it.
  2. It is a class ... leave it alone.
  3. If your wife has a question for the instructor let your wife ask the instructor.

Your self-assessment of what you are capable of is amazing given you obviously know nothing of Oracle. Your wife is, however, trying to learn something and her experience will not be enhanced by your attitude, your apparent desire to be a control freak, or your inability to stand back and let her succeed and/or fail on her own.

My apology if you find my tone offensive. But having taught for quite a number of years ... you are not the first husband or boyfriend that has made a mess of things "trying" to be helpful and unfortunately will not be the last.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org