Re: Connecting from Linux x86 PHP to a SUN oracle server?

From: cjbj <cjbj_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 17:25:28 -0700

Mackan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Linux x86 PC running Apache + PHP. I wan't to connect to Oracle on
> another server running SUN Solaris. What do i need, at a minimum, to enable
> this on the Linux side?
>
> I've found some info on the oracle homepage, but thats only when the
> database and web/php server are on the same machine. It would be nice if i
> could get it up and running without needing to download and install
> houndreds of meg of software/drivers on the Linux server.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mats

Install Zend Core for Oracle on your Linux machine:   http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/zendcore/index.html

Or install PHP and Oracle Instant Client:   http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/notes/technote_php_instant.html If you choose to do this, you should also update PHP's OCI8 extension by running the command pear install oci8-beta (see http://netevil.org/node.php?nid=486&SC=1)

In either case you will end up with PHP that can connect to any Oracle database (local or remote) using Oracle's standard connect identifier syntax.