DISTINCT as a way to slow down queries

From: cumin <jkilbourne_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 12:10:50 -0700

I just ran a query, SELECT blah blah, and had to hit Ctrl-C as the results flew by; 6000 rows of the same two values. So I added DISTINCT to the front, and I am still waiting for results 10 minutes later. Why does DISTINCT have such a dramatic effect on performance? Received on Mon Oct 03 2005 - 14:10:50 CDT