varchar Vs. varchar2 Vs. nvarchar

From: Sango <sgopalakrishna_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 04:23:13 -0700

Hi All,

I need to know the difference between varchar and varchar2 and nvarchar. I want to develop an application that should be unicode complaint. So, I am ambiguous about using nvarchar OR varchar2. As I have understood, nvarchar supports multi lingual text. But, varchar2 also supports (I have seen databases that store texts of japaneese and english in a varchar2 column).

So, I want to know the exact difference between all the three datatypes mentioned above.

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Sango. Received on Mon Oct 03 2005 - 06:23:13 CDT